Reduce Electric-Related Fires

Household appliances are not designed to be left on standby mode overnight. Effortlessly turn off household items in the evening and switch back on in the morning, significantly reducing your energy costs and potential fire hazards. Ideal for those with mobility issues. 

Overloading your electrical system is a serious fire hazard! Every time you plug in a new device to an already loaded circuit, you are putting more and more strain on the wires that are embbeded in your walls, and some of these wires might be older than you AND your parents, adding to the risk of them catching on fire. The more you load a circuit, the more electrical current that has to flow through the copper conductor, this increased flow of current causes a build up of heat in the conductor if it is not sufficient to carry the load you are demanding of it, this heat then melts the PVC insulation of the wire, causing wires to short circuit and spark causing a fire, or worse, sometimes the PVC insulation itself overheats and catches on fire!


The fire service says that there should also be one plug in each socket. Many appliances plugged into a socket with a multi-way adaptor can overload the circuit, causing a fire that can produce sufficient carbon dioxide to suffocate someone.


Chief Fire Officer and Group Director of Community Safety, Chris Griffin, said: “Many people don’t realise how many of their appliances are needlessly using up electricity, especially at night. Obviously people need to leave the fridge and freezer on, but things like stereos, kettles, radios, computers and the TV can all be turned off at the wall and unplugged when they are not being used.